Monday, February 18, 2008

Yucky Auditions, Beautiful Weather & Josh Groban... Random Enough for Ya?

Lovelies!  It's only noon - and I already feel the need for a cocktail...  

Why, you might ask?  Well, I just gave quite possibly the worst audition of my life & now I'm trying to shake it off!  

I got to Chelsea Studios at 7am ready to do a great audition for Sacramento Music Circus!  Had my song all set (Out of the Blue from the Wild Party), had my hair all ready (in Eva Peron/1940's 'do) and had my favorite turquoise dress on!  


My coach Jen Waldman would've bee so proud, because I went in super confident!  I introduced myself to the director and the pianist, said the name of my piece very clearly & gave a very clear tempo setting.  All good stuff, right?

Well, lovelies - the pianist (let's call him Michael) wasn't really doing my tempo and a few seconds later he wasn't playing the correct key - very hard for me to find my notes when all the notes on the piano are played wrong.  


So I stopped the song after the tempo change (where it was supposed to get much faster, and it didn't) and asked if I could start over again.  The pianist was apologizing to me, I was apologizing to him & the director was asking both of us to calm down.  I thought I was being pretty calm - considering that I got up at 6am, prepared excellent material & waited three hours to audition.  

He asked me to start from the beginning, which I did - and let me tell you, friends - I was pretty good (despite not relating to my scene partner because I was shaken) but my pianist was AWFUL!!!  He was trying, though - but trying never got a girl a job.  Only a great audition gets you the callback.  And only a callback gets you the job of playing Eva Peron...

The director had me sing a second song (he requested a ballad) and I sang the one I did for Camelot last friday.  This was MUCH better for the pianist - as it was in the key of C and also a ballad.  Uugh...  

They said Thank You & sent me on my way - the pianist apologized again - I said not to worry & I enjoyed meeting him, all the same.  (this was good, as I later found out that he's probably the music director for some of the shows at Sacramento Music Circus.)  

But onto more important things... like this weekend!

Friday night I stayed at home & watched The Girls Next Door.  I just LOVE that show!  I know, I know - it's a little "over the top" - but I just can't get enough of it!  All the parties, food, fun & pretty dresses... C'mon who doesn't like that!!??! 
 
Saturday I did my laundry & went to Tea & Sympathy with H.Co.  She's such a doll!  We met at auditions a million years ago (aka - last March) and we FINALLY got a chance to go out & chat!  And it was great!  She's so positive & upbeat!  I love that!  And we're finally starting a book club, of which our first book is going to be Eat, Pray, Love.  I'm excited! 

Then I went to work at the Pan Asian Palace in Times Square on Saturday night & who walks in, smiles at me and says "I have a reservation for 10 at 10:15." .... JOSH GROBAN!!!!  (Sigh.)  


I, of course, seated him & his party promptly - and I asked what he had done that night.  He'd just been to see Spring Awakening down the street & then I made some remark (positive remark) about Duncan Sheaks music & how the show didn't remind me of his single from the 90's.  

Josh said "What single is that - I KNOW that I know it, but I forget the words?  Do you know?" (Double sigh.)

And I said (or sang) "Yeah, I think it's that one that goes "I am Barely Breathing".  (So by this point I'm singing to Josh Groban - which is wicked fun - and he's smiling that awesome dreamy smile....  AND THEN HE STARTS TO SING WITH ME!!!!  

OMG - I just sang the entire chorus of Barely Breathing with Josh Groban...  (triple sigh...)
Exciting, no?

Sunday I went to church, hung out with my brother T.J. and went to lunch with my girlfriend Ray-Ray.  We discussed her upcoming cabaret & auditions, life, boys, etc.  Was fun!  

Then I went home & enjoyed the wonderful selections I'd purchased a Barnes & Noble that afternoon, watched Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (I cried 5 times) and got ready for the audition from hell....  wait, that's not fair... it was the audition from purgatory.   

On the upside, it's nearly 60 degrees here in New York.... weather is so boring. 

1 comment:

  1. Eat Pray Love is my Favorite!!! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete