Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sunday in the Park with Dot... eerr... Gorge.


Lovelies,  I went to see Sunday in the Park with George on Friday night with my good friend Bette.  This show is my new favorite Sondheim show!  I am in LOVE with it!  It's so beautiful and moving!  And Jenna Russell is just delightful as Dot in the first act and Marie in the second act! (It could have been called Sunday in the Park with George and Dot.) She's so freakin' brilliant - AND she's a Brit which makes her tres cool in my book!  

For those of you who don't know, this show is all fiction & based around the George Seurat painting  "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte". 



 It's first act takes place in 1880's France (lots of bustles, lots of fancy Victorian mustaches, lots of charm) and revolves around the romance of George and his lover Dot, as he creates the painting you see above.  The second act is set in 1980's New York where Seurats' (made up) Great Grandson is also an artist searching for insperation & meaning in the modern world.  VERY cool premise for a show!

The music swells at the end of the first act and the characters all are laid out just like the painting - this is what I paid the big bucks to see!  (It's kind of like seeing your favorite disney movie come to life, or seeing your favorite pop star in concert for the first time - just overwhelming & delightful!)  I'm such a sucker for good art & intelligent musical theatre!

Onto the other end of theatre life - I auditioned today for the broadway show Mary Poppins.  I think I'm practically perfect for the part of Mary, but Eric Woodall - the casting director - was not half as excited as I was today.  Was kind of a weird audition.  I went in, set down my music and gave tempo to the piano player.  He then got up, went to the door & quieted down all the chatty girls waiting to go behind me.  Then sat back down & asked for tempo again - awkward.  But was nice that he was concerned.  
So I sang "I Can Dream, Can't I?" kind of in a "Anything Can Happen, If You Let It" sort of way.  It went fine, I connected with my scene partner...   But, go figure, no second song request, no callback.  Just a nice "Thanks Miss Musical".  

UUGH!!!  How the hell am I ever supposed to get further in my career if no one wants to give me the time of day for a freakin' callback!  

Thinking of doing my own cabaret.  Again.  The new cabaret will probably be all songs of Rosemary Clooney and be called "Everything's Coming up Rosie: The Songs of Rosemary Clooney".  I've gotta make my own projects - as I'm not getting cast in anything right now!  That will be fun to work on!  I'm thinkin' "C'mon A My House" and "Mambo Italiano" for sure will be in the show...  Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment