Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thank God for Mentors...


Lovelies, I had a long, but wonderful day today! I had class tonight with the fantastic Jen Waldman - whom I cannot say enough about! I will sing her praise until the day I die!


Little back story on how I met Jen... I moved here June of 2006, auditioned for 1 year and wasn't booking work and was quickly loosing confidence.


One day in the audition line I asked the people sitting next to me who they took classes with - and the two people who mentioned Jen's classes SMILED when they talked about class. (The other guy who was taking another class looked like he didn't give two hoots about his teacher.) I knew I had to find out what made these people smile!


Well, I had my first lesson with Jen in October of 2007, have since taken 2 of her audition technique workshops, she's supported me trying out other teachers (which I've done 3 separate classes with her colleague VP Boyle - and loved him) and friends, she still makes me smile to this day!


And the reason why I smile is not because she is funny or thoughtful or energetic - which she is all of those. No, the reason why I smile is because she taught me that bringing me into the room is enough.


I, Miss Musical, am enough.


Just as I am.


So now when I can bring that into the room, it's such a joy to perform because it's mine. And at the end of the day, the time & the work do not belong to anyone else but me. And having that ownership gives me a wonderful sense of self confidence and contentment.


And let's be honest here, isn't that the best gift that someone can give to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment