Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm so Nervous I could Puke...


Lovelies, have you ever gotten yourself so worked up about something that you become physically ill??  

I have had this problem since I was in grade school....  I used to get so nervous  in Ms. Shima's 1st grade classroom and then I felt ill and I would have to leave and go to the nurses office & lay there for a bit.  Sometimes I even went home.  

In my adult life it's gotten a lot better - but there's one time when these nerves come back & play a game of flag football in my stomach:  When I've had a decent callback & I'm waiting for the phone call if they gave me the part or not.

That's where I'm at today.  I felt like I had a lovely callback last night for Thoroughly Modern Millie - I rocked at the singing, felt really good about my scene work and thought that I did a pretty nice job with the quick & difficult dance routines that were happening.  

I know last year when I was up for the lead for this same company that they called the girl who go it by 8pm the night after.  I don't know if that's the same way that things are working this year, but my guess is that it probably is the same way...  


I'm so worked up over this because I care!  I care SO much!  I really REALLY want this show and I know it's just 1 show, but darn it - I've come SO close SO many times and then they all say "Thanks Miss Musical"...  What I want to know is WHEN WILL IT BY MY TURN??!!  I'm ready!  I want it!  I can DO this part!  

I know that everything happens for a reason and that I shouldn't get so stressed out about this, but c'mon - To get the lead in a tap musical that pretty much is my dream role...  Well, you do the math on that one...  

And to make matters worse, I'm getting a little upset at myself for having this kind of reaction!  I'm an adult - I should be able to control these things!  

If anyone out there has good suggestions about waiting and what to pray for, please let me know... I need some serious patience in my life when it comes to waiting to hear back from a callback...

6 comments:

  1. Breathe, baby, breathe! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooooooh good luck!

    or um, i mean BREAK A LEG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes the anxiety is a good sign. you're so anxious because you know you were the best, and because they absolutely have to give it to you. i'm sending you all the good luck thoughts in the world, though i'm sure you don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you were fantastic!

    Best of luck and keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Musical!

    This is a great development... I am so proud of you for getting a call-back. You know, if you do get the part, I will make special arrangements to come and see you!

    It was funny, after reading your post, I thought you were going to say you got nervous DURING the audition.

    This is great that you sang and danced your heart out and interacted with the scenery or whatever (I am clearly not a theater person!).

    Us slightly higher strung folks do get worked up a bit... but I think it is this type of stress that helps us focus and really perform at top-notch level.

    For some reason, exercise helps me curb that anxiety/nervousness. Having a physical outlet for that type of energy lets me let it out.

    Also, as Angela said... BREATHE.

    Like inhale for a count of 10, hold for 10, exhale for 10. Do this 10 times... I dare you, it's hard not to calm down... or get a little dizzy...

    I am hoping and praying for you. You have worked very hard for this.

    Lastly, do a little visualization. Law of Attraction stuff... See yourself on stage, singing the songs. See yourself getting the costume fitted and putting on the makeup. Whatever relevant situation you know, envision yourself there.

    And a little shout out to the big guy in the sky never hurts, either!

    Good Luck!

    MissGoldBug

    ReplyDelete