Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Definition of Insanity...

According to our friend & founding father, Benjamin Franklin, The Definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....  

Which is the PERFECT Segue into Miss Musical's auditions in NYC!  Hooray!  

Today I pulled myself away from my perfectly lovely bed at the crack of dawn (6 a.m. if you're so curious) threw on my clothes and hauled my tail into the Equity Building to audition (again) for North Shore Music Theatre.  My lovely roommate, Roomie, accompanied me on the 6 a.m. N train.  
We were one of the first twenty crazies (aka. actors) that got the good fortune to stand in line before the equity building opened at 7:30 a.m.  Whilst this is very cold, it's also very good because it ensures that you have which ever time slot your little heart desires!  (I usually pick 10:10 - just enough time from the 8:30 sign-in to grab a Starbucks Latte and get pretty.)  


AND (joy of joys!) I got to also be seen for a company in New Jersey that's doing a new-ish musical that has a "dark comic" character in her mid to late 20's!  (Of course, I went - hello?! - 
Dark & Comic spells Miss Musical backwards!  ... wait a minute... no it doesn't!!)


So the North Shore audition went OK - sang 10,432
 Sheep & it went alright but the piano player took my tempo SO fast!  (His fingers were on fire - and my song was not meant to be a patter song).  He also looked as if he wanted to slit his wrists with the corners of my audition book....  


Ahh, those brooding musicians....  


I still smiled and thanked him on my way out. (while thinking "You screwed up my fucking audition!!!" as loud as I could in my head!)  


Oh, well, it's just an audition - and let's be honest even if they called me back Allie Frank the
 casting director (who shoots daggers at me with her eyes) would drop any notion of my getting cast in a heartbeat....  Sigh.... (now is a good time to refer back to the title of this particular blog...)


I tried not to let Angry Pianist bug me - and went into the second audition for New Jersey McWeird - O Never-Heard-of-Em Theatre company.  Fortunately I knew Steady Eddie was in the room playing piano.  He's my new Favorite!  He rocks it out & is SO good at taking tempo & going with the actor!  So I did the Boyle A or B technique (where I offer them song A or song B) and they chose Song B.  


Song B. was Lay Down Your Head from Violet.  It went beautifully - I felt like I truly did my best acting work of the day in there.  The top vocal wasn't what I wanted - came out very soft - but really, who cares - I still hit it & they all said they liked the song!  Hooray!


Oh- and on the way out I ran into the very nice gal who ended up getting the part in a show we were both auditioning for back in December.  (It was between me & her for this one part of a peroxide blond - she got it, but is just lovely - so I really can't be mad or bitter!  Even though I am just a smidge...)  We chatted for a bit & she seems to be having a busy new year!  (as am I - hopefully some things will be "meant to be" for me & will be unveiled as time moves on..)

Also, ran into the Twins today -- I love those girls!  They are so darn funny & nice!  Have become really good friends to me!  Hooray!  

Question for my readers - this guy has been asking me to go out for a drink with him.  He works in the business & I really prefer not to date in the business.  Plus, I really just don't want to date right now....   The idea doesn't excite me anymore...  So do I tell him "Sorry - but thanks for the offer" or "Sorry, thanks for the offer but I try not to date in the business".  Or if you have a third option you'd like to share - I'm all ears!  

4 comments:

  1. I guess my advice would be to go and try to establish that it's not a date date, but rather a friendly drink. He could be a good guy, could have fun friends who aren't in the business, could be a good contact, whatever. It might be fun.

    Unless he himself is really skeevy, in which case say you're really busy or something equally polite that means no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that first audition reminds me of that song from The Last 5 Years "Climbing Uphill"

    guywise: be as straightforward/blunt as possible. You aren't interested in dating anyone at this moment, but perhaps just a drink as friends? as sequined points out, it's good to network of people -especially in any kind of business.

    ps - Thanks for friending me! I can't wait to read up all on life in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would avoid the "I don't date in the business" excuse, or you will inevitably end up meeting a friend of his, breaking your own rule and his heart in the process. Your first, polite response leaves you an out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Exposed on this - just give him a polite 'thanks but no thanks!' :)

    ReplyDelete