Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm Singin' & Dancin' in the Rain....

Hello my lovelies! Spring is so close to being here in NYC -- it rained a little this weekend and probably one of my favorite things to do is put on my wellies and tromp into a big rain puddle! (While whistling "Singing in the Rain", of course!) Unfortunately, or fortunately - depending on how you look at it - it stopped raining and Sunday was quite lovely!


I just love old movies! And new ones that try and mimic the old ones! Like the one that I saw on Sunday - Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day. FANTASTIC!!! Now, I don't know what the critics think, but I had a smile on my face from start to finish! And it's so nice that there are still movies out there that take on that sense of 1930's/ 40's campy-ness and silliness while still remaining quite moving at times! Brilliant! (And had great costumes, sets, cars, all wonderful old-fashioned stuff!)


My auditions today were fun! (and now I'm so tired - time for a Starbucks run, soon!) I managed to make it to the Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma principal call at 7:30 - roomie was with me. We saw the dudes on the way to the St. Patrick's Day parade and they were wearing kilts with bagpipes in hand! Super fun! So I got my 10:10 time slot, ran to Equity to be there for the 9:30 chorus call for Theater by the Sea and got my number there. (on the chorus call sign up list I was number 265 - so I thought I'd go around noon -ish... Well that wasn't the case, because when almost no one showed up I had to go in the 10:30 group! D'oh!

So I ran BACK to Lyric Theatre of the Stars audition (at Pearl Studios) threw on my dress & was put on line right away to sing. I did the song "I Said No" from Sweater Girl. That was fun & it went really well! (no callback - they were telling people right in the room - whatevs...)

Ran back to Equity and managed to make it 2 min. before they called the second group to go in the Chorus call! I sang "On the Other Side of the Tracks" for my first song & they asked for a second where I sang "Stormy Weather" - rocked 'em both out! Then they asked me to come for the dance call at 12:30! (YEA a CALLBACK!!)

This was all done at 11:00. So I trucked my cookies back to Astoria, ran home & threw a bag of dance clothes together & took the SLOW N Train back into the city! Finally got back for the Theatre by the Sea dance call.


So first we danced very basic music theatre dance stuff (jazz squares, chasses, etc) and I was a rock star at that. THEN we tapped. Lovelies - I have not tapped in 2 years! Was SO MUCH FUN!!! Just basic time square, military step, buffalo stuff - easy to remember! And Fun!

Our group went up to tap and the artistic director asked me what song I sang that morning. This is an easy question, right? WRONG!!

Lovelies, I totally blanked out & said "Oh, my God! I don't remember!" Seriously - blank slate -- sometimes I think the blond hair dye sinks into my scalp & penetrates my brain. SO my dear friend Morgs told me it was something that started with an "O" and then she kept prompting me - "It's not your Hollywood song Miss Musical - it's the other up tempo one". Then it came to me: in bits. Here's what I said out loud:

"With an O?"
(pause while I was thinking what the devil it could be)

"Not my Hollywood song - but an uptempo?"
(another pause)

"I think it's from Little Me.... What's that one?"

The people behind the desk are on the path with me now - one of them starts snapping his fingers like he's got the answer and the director says at the same time as me:

" -- YES!! It's On the Other Side of the Tracks!!!"

Lord - I don't think that the audition panel or all my friends who were dancing in the room with me could've laughed any harder. Everyone was just in stitches. So was I! (even though I was slightly embarrassed -- but darn it - I did 3 auditions that day and I was going on 5 hours of sleep!)
But they didn't ask anyone else that question. Wouldn't that be swell if I got to spend the summer in Rhode Island by the beach?

Well, a girl can dream, can't she? :)

3 comments:

  1. So after all that -and making everyone laugh- you didn't get the job? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to see Miss Pettigrew! I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seem to be TONS of old fashioned-inspired movies coming out! Leather heads, Pettigrew, Married Life, maybe this is a sign that we're all sick of living in the world that we've become (although I am pretty happy for the freedom to avoid sweater sets!)

    ReplyDelete