Monday, March 10, 2008

Graceland and Patience were both required.

(That's the top of my head & the Graceland Mansion behind me!)


Well lovelies, I'm back from Memphis- of which I saw very little, due to working like a crazy woman! (and thanks to a steady supply of Starbucks, I made it through!) Here's a little glimpse into my weekend:I arrived at Mrs. Mol's home on Wed. morning ready to have a great trip to Memphis with her two cute kids, Sara (4) and Sam (2). They are just adorable & very well behaved, so I didn't think anything of it when she asked me to come along.

So I was pumped to spend a weekend with them! (And she'd told me that I'd get an afternoon off to go & explore the city - so I was super pumped then!)Well, lovelies, our travel experience was not the best - our flight was canceled, the new flight was in a different terminal, the kids were tired, and the little Sam threw up all over on the flight there. Uugh.


But then we got to Memphis and pretty much the whole weekend was spent with the "cousins" who were ages 5, 4, and 2. Now, I'm a good sport, but the parents of the "cousins" just assumed that I'd take care of them too! (Two kids is a lot to begin with - but 5 under the age of 5 -- you might as well ask me to rip my hair out from the start!) Note to self - must ask how many kids will be there & negotiate after finding out info.... I requested insane amounts of Starbucks coffee - and happily, none of the adults had any problem grabbing me one! (Funny how the coffee makes child watching easier...)

That said - I ate so well this past weekend! Their Great Grandmother "Mi-Maw" was celebrating her 90th Birthday! They had a whole weekend of brunches & dinners planned for her! Was quite nice & the food was AMAZING!! I've never eaten all Kosher food before, but it was quite nice - tasted like regular meat to me. Also, they had a Shabaz service for Mi-Maw and a dinner after... Those people know how to throw a party! Makes me want to convert! (Lord only knows if I did convert my dating life might become easier in NYC - seeing as it's a Jewtopia here...) Aaah, well, I'll have to stick to being a Shiksha Goddess for now.

A high of my weekend was going to visit Graceland! What a fun thing to do! I was so excited to visit this, as I'm a "do-er" when I go on vacation -- I like to go places & see things! Drove from Germantown all the way to Elvis Presley Blvd. and turned into the Graceland parking lot! Was a blast!
Loved seeing the Mansion - it really felt like he was trying too hard to make it grand & royal, but back in the day I'm sure it was some of the finest decor you could find! (and let's be honest here - late 70's is not my favorite furnishing-period). Also, I never knew he recorded music in the Jungle Room! Cool, huh?

Got to see his planes & cars, too! (The Lisa Marie - below - was such a trip!)


This was Elvis's Moms Favorite Car - Mine, too... Since I'm a Pink-a -holic...

Elvis was also big on giving to charities & organizations - was fun to see the HUGE wall of checks written out. He also paid for peoples hospital bills & gave away cars & homes to those who he felt deserved it. What a good guy! (Too bad he couldn't stop popping the pills...) Also, they never even mentioned Linda or Ginger in the tour - the last girlfriends of Elvis. Probably because the estate is owned by Lisa Marie...)


A disappointment of mine this weekend was checking my voicemail on Thursday. The people from Totem Pole called me Wednesday night for a callback Thursday at noon for the Taffetas. I was SO bummed because I checked my voice mail at 2p.m. on Thursday and by that time the callback was over & done with! AAAUURRAGH!!! The one time I get a freakin' callback, I'm out of town! And the reason I didn't check it earlier is because I was SO busy playing with the kids on Wed. & Thursday morning!

I promptly called the director & music director & apologized - they totally understood & said that they weren't holding any further auditions. So I couldn't sing for them when I got back... All I could do was say "Well, that's a really Shitty thing that I wasn't able to sing for them." Lovelies - I could've totally gotten this job. I KNOW I'm perfect for it. Uugh.

Today I slept in, because Sam & Sara gave their cold to me this weekend. So thought it was better for me to sleep in & rest instead of getting up at 6:30 to go & audition for Musicals Tonight. I'm just going to submit to them instead.

I'm so happy I'm back in NY...

3 comments:

  1. I love Memphis...well, Beale Street. Graceland it pretty amazing too. Just thinking about I'm salvating for Silky O' Sullivan's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you say "shabaz", do you mean a religious service on friday night? because that would be shabbos or shabbat. jew lesson for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a spectacular time (sans the kid stress)! and i love love the pictures you posted of la casa de elvis!!!

    ReplyDelete