Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Best & Worst Date night - at the same time! WTF?!


Lovelies, I just got home from Date Night!
I went out on my first date in a few months with a fella who I met at Bamboo 52 almost 2 weeks ago. (Here's how we met: I introduced myself, gave him my card & let him do the rest... which he was very good at! Loads of calls & texts over the past 2 weeks - hooray!) I had high hopes for him - he's Argentinian, good looking, smart and has a good job.


SO - tonight I got to pick the place: Fig & Olive on the Upper East Side. Now, lovelies, tell me if I'm a crazy lady here... He showed up an hour and a half late. Who does that?! Now, he texted me to let me know he was going to be a little late earlier, but a little late means 15-20 minutes right?? Not a freakin' hour-and-a-half!!!

Uugh. Strike One against the Argentinian.
Then we had the most delightful, witty conversation I've had in a long time! He was honest, sincere, sweet and smart. I did give him quite a bit of grief about being so late, but he said he'd make it up to me. To which I replied "Oh, well - this is our Get to Know You date, so you can make it up to me on our OFFICIAL first date..."

He made me laugh and let me be totally myself! Was rather exciting, as usually I hold my cards very close during the first date & don't open up that much. He asked tons of questions, had great stories to follow up with... but (there always has to be a but, doesn't there?! ) BUT, lovelies, he black berried during our date - STRIKE 2.

More lovely conversation followed (our jobs, families, various activities we enjoy) after he put down the crack berry and apologized for using it during the date. (I was in the ladies when he started texting, so I can't get too mad, I guess.)

But at the end - and I thought this was REALLY weird - his friend was supposed to "pop by" and say a "quick hello". The friend stayed. A LONG time. And chatted.

I didn't' want to get in the middle of this friend thing - so I high tailed it out of there. Said I was "tired." I hope that Argentina guy got the gist. I was PISSED OFF! Who the fuck asks their friend to a FIRST DATE??!!

Strike three.

(But the dude still intrigues me, and he did ask me out on date number two. So I think I'm going to sit on it for a bit & let it stew... And if I do happen to give him a second chance, I might have to give some ground rules: 1. Be on Time, or pretty close to it. 2. No texting during the date. 3. For the love of Christ - meet up with your friends on your own time, NOT MINE.)

3 comments:

  1. men are weird. you're right to think it over. maybe it'll make him realize that he shouldn't be an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd think twice about giving him another chance, but then if you do and he does the same things - he's a bonehead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a weird date.

    I found your blog through 20somethings. I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete