Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Daydreams and ball-sy acts....


Lovelies, it happened.  The Guys & Dolls invited dance call happened this morning.  

Not gonna lie -it was ROUGH.  Real Rough...

I felt so good going in there!  Thought I was going to be perhaps playing Mimi (the earing girl) in the ensemble & covering Adelaide.  Yeah, that's a pipe dream.  


Walked in  & every dancer-dancer (that means the really true dancers -not the mover/dancers like me) so every dancer-dancer with legs to their shoulders with the ability to kick to Jesus was there...   And me.  And also my good mover/singer friends were there Niks & Kels.  Was so good to see friendly faces!  


So the choreographer started teaching the dance.  FAST.  Really really fast!  (we learned a full 2 minute combination in under 20 minutes complete with barrel turns, double inside left turns, double outside right turns and so many high kicks I thought I was going to smack myself in the face.)  

The guy who called me in turns out is the Music Director -not the main Director.  Both were in the room with the casting director and several assistants & other people!  I felt OK about the routine - had to have the assistant dance in front of me during the combo - that was nice that they let her do that for us mover/dancers.  All in all, I didn't fall on my face & I didn't miss too many steps.  

The whole thing made me realize how much I need to get back to taking lessons again!  I miss it!  (and if I had a little more time to practice, I'd have kicked that routines ass!)

Also, last night I saw my friend Sh-ronie in an Andrew Lippa tribute concert!  Was a great show and Andrew Lippa himself CAME to see the show & did a talkback!  (FYI - Andrew Lippa is a musical theatre demi-god and he writes some AWESOME music!)  Here's a pic of him:

So anywho- after the concert, during the talkback someone asks what is on his iPod.  (Good question, right?!)  And he said he was always looking for new music.  

So, me being the outgoing girl that I am, wrote down Pink Martini and David Wilcox on the back of my business card and gave it to him picture side down...  He was very cool about getting new music suggestions, and when he flipped over my card I half expected him to tear it up, but instead he said "business card - clever" or something to that sort - I was a little star struck.  After which he shook my hand and thanked me for the music ideas!  Hooray!  

I just introduced myself to the man who could be our generations Stephen Sondheim!  

Hip-hip! Hooray!  

1 comment:

  1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I REALLY hope guys and dolls works out...and the barrel turns, whatever those are.

    ReplyDelete