Monday, January 11, 2010

2 Great Shows!


Lovelies, I'm now back in NYC and ready for another audition season!
I took a voice lesson this morning, worked on getting all my songs in order and printed off a TON of monologues from my acting coach! So exciting to have gratitude and hope to draw from!
It's time lovelies, I feel it! Mama Musical is going to book her first job by herself in NYC in 2010!
But let me give you an update on the new shows I've seen!
First show: In the Next Room (or the Vibrator Play)

Now lovelies, this sounded like a risque title to me, and you can't imagine how surprised & delighted I was to find out that the play was a comedy/romance! The play took place in the 1880's when electricity was first installed in peoples homes and the story was about a Doctor and his young wife and the doctors clients. Mainly women. The Doctor was "treating" his female clients with a new electric machine that would "release the tension in their womb".

Was truly funny as they were all very naive (including the Doctor - he really thought he was treating these people!) and the show was also about friendship, motherhood and marriage.

I also loved the costumes and scenery! As it was all set in the 1880's all the women had these BEAUTIFUL gowns and underthings - we got to see them as they went into the doctors office & disrobe for their "sessions" with the Doctor and the electric machine. They only went down to their corsets and bloomers, but there was such detail & care given to the little bits of lace on the bloomers. Love that! AND those dresses were made of LOVELY silk!

Perhaps this show would transfer well to the Guthrie or other regional stages! (and when it does, you can bet that I'll be trying out for the Doctors young wife! I want to play that part SO bad! And I think it's a good fit for my personality type!)

The second show I saw was "A Little Night Music". Oh. My. Freakin'. Stars.
Lovelies, I had multiple musical theatre-gasms that night in the theatre! (thank you Mr . Sondheim!) All those songs are just beautiful! And the sets were creative and minimalistic and the costumes were simplistically stunning! I loved all of it! And there's just so much sexual tension and energy underlying the whole show - that's what drives the story! Very exciting stuff!


And the ensemble they put together - what a wonderful group of talented people! (headed by the lovely Catherine Zeta Jones and the unmatchable Angela Landsbury!) No to mention all the other leads who were just WONDERFUL!
It really doesn't hurt that my super talented friend Kevin David Thomas is in the show as one of the quintet. He rocks my socks and does a FABULOUS job with the part!

I also met Hunter (the guy playing Henrick) and Ramona (the gal playing Anne) when I went to see the show Memphis a few months ago. We were all sitting in the student rush seats, they were tapping their toes, and the next thing you know - we're BFF. Well, actually I just butt my nose into their conversation and introduced myself, but that lead to the facebooking, which lead to the show, which lead to the hanging out backstage with THREE cast members after!

Oh, and lets talk about the merits of the show itself: the orchestra was OUT OF CONTROL! So talented - I'm so happy we don't have "canned music" on Broadway. Or in the Twin Cities for that matter. Just makes such a HUGE difference to hear live music!

The direction was minimal and beautiful (God Bless Trevor Nunn). BTW, did you all know that Trevor Nunn is British and not Asian?? I have been thinking all these years that he was Asian who was maybe adopted by British parents. Guess what, lovelies?? He's not. Totally 100% wonder bread white. Good thing I didn't audition for him ever - I might have royally fucked that up by saying something gawd awful like "Ni-how, Trevor!" or "Sayanara Mr. Nunn!".

All in all 2 good shows, and I've heard sadly that In the Next Room is closing very soon... Come visit NYC and see it while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment