Wednesday, July 8, 2009

You Can't Get Your Heart Broken if You're Not in a Relationship! (and other goodies...)


Lovelies,  I just spend a fantastic 5 days at home in Minnesota.  The birds were chirping, the sun was shining and I had a grand time overall.  (I will re-cap further on in future blogs my purchases & events I attended...)  

But for now, I just want to say a word about singleness.  Ah, yes, I'm bringing it up lovelies... The ever-constant single state of my life.  And I didn't think so much about it until I started reading this book.  

(Damn you, literature! -- shaking angry fists!) 

Now this is not one of my normal Shopaholic or Twilight Chick-Lit Books where the characters are so far away from my real life that I can laugh at their problems whilst thinking "Gee - I feel bad for them!" or " Look at all their relationship issues/ flaws/ problems!" and finally the ever calming  "Glad I'm not like that!"


But lovelies this book is smacking me across the face again & again.  It's called Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single and it's by a Minnesota native named Heather McElhatton.  I swear, this book hits so close to home it hurts!  (In fact sometimes I end up crying I'm laughing so hard & then I realize I'm laughing because I relate so well... Le Sigh.)

This gal in the book is a normal gal who doesn't always say the right thing, dates online and usually ends up going home alone to her cat & a bottle of wine.  And she's funny!  A funny, normal sized gal who has trouble with men... Frighteningly familiar.  

The book is a great read for summer & I highly recommend it! 


But it got me thinking how much I crave a relationship and also how scared I am to actually be in one and be open to having someone be such a big part of my life!  Uugh, love.  

Why can't I just have a matchmaker say "Miss Musical, in 2 years time you will marry Motel the Tailor and live in a 2 bedroom co-op on the Upper West Side."  Oh, Fiddler on the Roof, if only life were as easy as your witty lyrics.... 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady, I wish you all the love in the world, but please don't wish for anything Fiddler style... least of all because Yente DOESN'T match Tzeitel with Motel, she matches her with Lazar Wolfe, the Butcher, who is old and gross.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so happy i stumbled upon your blog!! i often feel the same way about relationships...why must they be so ridiculously fickle & tricky!
    ...oh, boys... {sigh.}
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete