Monday, June 15, 2009

How do I Seal the Deal?


Lovelies, I have a question:  How am I smooth enough to get a fellas card, but not smooth enough to have him call & ask me out on a date??  

I don't stalk.  I don't pry or call them too much.  I just let them be the man and make the first move.  I hate hate HATE it when business cards are exchanged and then nothing happens... Here's some cases in my life:

Remember Opera Hottie?  Or O'Hottie as I called him....  Yeah, so nice with loads of potential - and after 2 e-mails back & forth of very non-evasive brief stuff he never calls?!


AND remember the cute guy I ran into at the airport on my way back from Christmas Vacay this year?  The handsome british one who gave me his card after much flirting ensued in the taxi line.  Same thing.  3 or 4 e-mails back & forth and then nada.  Nothing.  Zip.  Zilch.  

So the latest was on Saturday night there was a terribly attractive man at the piano bar I was at!  He was there with a gal, but then my friend Z. went and asked if he was single, what he did, etc. on my behalf (yes, a little jr. high, but sweet of her, nonetheless..)  So turns out he's single, straight, and works at a respectable job.  I did some follow up questions:

Miss M: Where are you from?

Straight Dude: Texas.  You're from Minnesota right Miss M?

Miss M: Yes I am!  Do you enjoy piano bars?

Straight Dude: Yup! 

Miss M: Me too!  I wish I could play the piano.  Do you play any instruments?

Straight Dude: Yes - I play the violin & mandolin.

(Side note: Miss Musical is insane about the mandolin - HELLO???  Nickel Creek anyone??  Mandolin's are HOT!)

Straight Dude: Here's my card!

Miss M: Thanks!  Hey, I'm doing a show next Sunday night!  You should come!  (I produce a postcard for my show).

Straight Dude: Don't think I've got anything planned for next Sunday- I'll try to be there!

And then lovelies, I did something stupid.  I facebook friended him.  D'oh!  Facebooking someone you fancy is the dating kiss of death.  Seriously.  I know.  I've been facebooked which is another way for a dude to say "Yeah, you're pretty to look at, but I just don't really want to get to know you in that way.  Let's be facebook friends instead!"  

Le Sigh.

A Message to Men everywhere: Do not give a lady your card or ask for her number unless you intend to follow up.  This is not a game of "How many cards can I get in a night?" or "Who will call first?"  

I've decided to start handing out lists to random fellas on the subway & preach about dating etiquette on the N train.  That should reach a lot of people right?  I mean if the homeless people can collect money on there, I must be able to help the men of NYC become a little more aware!  Here's the easy 5-step lingo: 

1. You like a chick.
2. You ask for her number
3. You call and ask her out.
4. You take the time to figure out what you'll be doing on the date 
5. Date happens. You show up on time.

Too much to ask??  I think not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment