Saturday, May 16, 2009

Being a Grown Up Sucks Sometimes....


Lovelies,  there are some parts of adulthood that I really enjoy.   Like not having a curfew, being able to move where ever I want in the world, and -of course- being able to partake in alcoholic beverage consumption. 
 
HOWEVER, there are some parts of Grow-up-dom that SUCK.  (warning - this is not a happy typical "Miss Musical" blog - I'm venting a little bit)

Let me list them in order:

1. Bill Pay.  (I hate bills & paying them.  I like having an apartment, cell phone, In Style Magazine every month - but I HATE having to pay for them.  Uugh.)

2. Ownership of your mistakes.  (Do you remember when you effed up when you were young and were able to say "Oh, I'm so young & I haven't learned that yet, so you can't get mad at me for messing up!" and then you're supposed to learn from your mistake, as to avoid it in the future??  Yeah, I have a hard time learning from the past, I guess...)

3. Societal Pressures.  (Ie.  You MUST - according to society- have a job that you're "successful" at, get married, have babies and be exceedingly happy with your lot in life.  Oh, and you have to do this all by the time you're 35 or you're a failure.  Got that??  ... God, I hate the "normal" people -- and I hate myself even more for wanting to be one of them...)

4. Never Having Enough.  (This is kind of a spin on social pressure, but I feel as an adult that I never have enough.  Enough money, enough living space, enough food, enough clothing, enough furniture.... When does it end?  When will I be able to step back and say "Yeah, my little apartment in Queens rocks and I love all my clothes!"  I kinda do say this stuff already, but I secretly would love to come into loads of money -- but even then, would that be "enough"?  Or would I still crave more??  Bigger Money = bigger toys)

5. Religious questing.  (Lovelies, believe you me - I love me some Jesus, but I also don't believe in dismissing all other religions quite so quickly.  This bugs me about being an adult, too - as a teen I was spoon fed Christianity and while I love the teachings of the bible, I still think that there are loads of other good things you can take away from other religions, too!  Like the calm of Buddhists, or the devotion of Jews, or other such things...  And most adults think "I believe (fill in the blank) and that's the ONLY way to go!"which makes it hard when you can appreciate other aspects of various religions... Very frustrating part of being an adult.)


Well, lovelies, I think that's enough seriousness for now!  Onto nicer things - I gave an AWESOME audition for "A little Night Music" for my FAVORITE casting director E. Woods on Friday!  (and MatE. was playing at the piano!  Love that!)  I felt so calm & at ease in the introduction & end of the audition -- and I ROCKED it out on the song.  

Was so into the song that I was close to crying but never lost it totally until the last verse & then I had to "Pull it together" during the very last lyric in the song!!!  I got a "Excellent audition, Miss Musical" from E. Woods.  (and I kinda look a little like Kelly Price in the face - who's playing the role I want to play in London... Planting little seeds of hope, my lovelies... We'll see if I even get a callback...)

I AM AN ACTRESS - HEAR ME ROAR!!!  And it feels so great when you really feel like you've done justice to the song!  Now if I can just get one person to believe in me and think I've got the stuff to do a show here in NYC, we'll be set! 

1 comment:

  1. Just "found" you.
    Love the blog!
    I agree on all counts!....But bills have definitely got to be the worst of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete